Monday, April 1, 2013

Week 20: Blessings, Zone Conference, & Mosquitoes!


 First off, we gave 2 blessings this week. This was pretty cool because usually I just annoint the oil, and recite that part. Not this time. Now that I'm the senior companion I was in charge of giving the blessing. Yeah, pretty big step up for me! It was really cool, and both people really appreciated it. Elder Gittins had a funny greenie moment that I could really appreciate. Do you remember when I was trying to console that lady, and I said "Life can be spoon?" Yeah, it is something like that. While annointing the oil, instead of saying "Oil", he said "Meat", which are pretty similar words in Russian. To those that are familiar with blessings, they can imagine how comical this could be. The best part is that the lady didn't even realize! The only person that did was Jared, who was with us. Haha, so yeah. I'm glad he finally had his first language slip up, makes for a good story ;P. 

As I said, Zone conference will be this next Friday. I am really excited because President Campero will be there. It's been a while since I've seen him, and it's always refreshing to be around him. The Conference will be all in Russian, so that will be interesting to see how it turns out. I'm excited, I think it will be really fun.

I can't believe that it is already April. You know what's weird? One year ago, I recieved my mission call in the mail at BYU this week. That's super weird to think about. So yeah, last year around this time I was convinced I would be serving in Minneapolis, haha. 

Lastly, this week we have been fighting with a mosquito infection that has been rampant in our apartment. As you know, I don't do too well with mosquitos. So long story short, we've had mosquitos in our apartment for the last two months. How they didn't die in the winter is beyond me, but I've had it! I have over 19 bites just on my right arm alone. I went and bought a laundry hamper net thing, and I sleep with it over my face as a mosquito net, while wearing long sleeves. I also sprayed anti-bug stuff everywhere. If I still get bit, I'm going to be furious! Did I tell you the straw that broke the camels back? I woke up one day and my ear hurt, so turns out I have mosquito bites IN MY EAR! Yeah. It's war.

Anyways, I hope you all have a great week. Thanks to Chuck Baxter for the letter, it meant a ton and I sent one in the mail to him today ;P 
I actually wrote a lot of letters, so if any of you are reading this, expect one: Annie, Chuck, Austin Eldridge, and the Schuler family. Also, I promise that if anyone handwrites me a letter, I will write them one back! I love you all! Spring is finally here, enjoy it!

With love,
Kyle
Anyone that has served in Gorlovka will appreciate these pictures, and understand how hard it is to CLEANLY traverse the streets here! 

Soccer runs deep here. Go Shakhtar!
A picture of just a few of the wild dogs that run the city..
Nothing like some good old rubble! 
Rubble again!
Ukraine is just awesome. I love taking pictures like this. History, history.

This creepy looking building is what I like to call the "Great and spacious building", that lies adjacent to the church building. 
So yeah, this is my mosquito gear. Don't worry mom, I won't suffocate. Even if I do, it would be a less painful death than by the hands of mosquitos.

No comments:

Post a Comment